Monday, 22 February 2016

Coping with increased Grocery price


The Canadian dollar is low against the US dollar. We are all feeling the pain of surging prices at grocery stores. I can see how much the prices went up on TV and newspapers. Seems like everybody just complaining and paying the higher price. The major complain heard at the work place is expenses going up while the wages staying the same.
I was searching online how to cope with the increased grocery prices and not starving.

We used to buy items costing $0.99 per pound. My husband is the one usually does the grocery shopping.
When the lettuce prices went up, we stopped buying lettuce at all. After all, I am not a fan of salads in winter.
Even now, some apples are priced at my range. So, we get that.
Bananas are always reasonable.
Buying vegetables is really hard. But, if we have an open mind to cook with whatever available at our price range, we still get enough to survive for the week.  last week I got butternut squash, eggplants, winter melon and potatoes.

 My family stock the freezer when we get a deal.  When we got 10 pounds of carrots and beetroots, we skinned , sliced and freeze them.
Beetroots are bit challenging though, because of the red stain. I cooked them whole to make the skin loose first. Then removing the skin was easy. Cooked beets are easy to cut into wedges. Oven roasted beets are delicious! I should have bought two 10 pound bags.

I got tomatoes free in the summer from my friend. So, I washed, dried and placed them in the freezer. Whenever I need to cook with tomatoes, I take the frozen ones instead of fresh. They are just finished last week though.
Some weeks tomatoes will be 0.99 per pound. Other weeks they are priced higher. So, I like to buy more when the price is right.

We also buy frozen vegetables. I came to know that they are not losing any nutrients. They are good to make soup or stir fry or curries.

What about dried beans instead of canned ones? Just soak them overnight and cook in the morning. You are saved from the preservatives and no can to recycle as an added benefit.

I buy the meat for stew, which is less expensive. Once it is cooked in slow cooker, I add frozen veggies and spices to make it more delicious.
I can see that my family is having a lot of legumes too. They can be added to soups and stews.
Eggs and milk prices not went up that much. That is better right?
One suggestion I got online is if lettuce and kale are having same price, buy kale instead of lettuce. The reason? Kale is nutrient rich than lettuce.
Do you have any other strategies to cope with increased grocery prices? Do mind sharing them with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to know what you think of my post.I will do every effort to reply to your comment and to visit your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing