Sunday, 19 June 2016

Frugal Food :Chickpeas

Chickpeas are good for everybody. They have protein and fiber. Less expensive than meat for sure. 

Oh and gluten free with less calories!!! 
So, it is a healthy choice as well as frugal food. 

I like to buy the dry chickpeas, not the canned ones. The dried ones need to be soaked for about 6 hours before cooking. Canned ones are easy, yet you have more packing to throw out and more preservative to think about. So, to make life simple, I like to have dry one. The local Costco used to carry it. 

Now, I used to to sock it overnight on Saturday, and cook on Sunday. (Do you know the power rate is lower on weekends here in Toronto?).

I use my trusty pressure cooker to cook these. Once they are really cooked, I make hummus, or add curry powder to create a curry.

Hummus is really easy. I will use about 2 cups of cooked chickpeas. Add about a teaspoon of Realemon. Add a clove or two of garlic and a small piece of ginger. There is a Mediterranean thing called Tahini. If I have it, I will add a teaspoon of that. Then blend everything in the blender with a bit of olive oil. Add salt to taste. Here we have our guilt free low calorie dip for veggies or chips: I use it on my pita as a spread instead of Mayonnaise. 

Cooked chickpeas can be added to salads. It can be  made as curry to serve on rice. 
Oh, you can make chickpea soup, with this recipe
If you like to see it on pinterest, here is my Chickpea Recipe board

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to know what you think of my post.I will do every effort to reply to your comment and to visit your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing