Thursday, 16 February 2017

A Carrot Experiment: Fermenting

Dear Visitor,

Glad to see you here.
Since my sauerkraut experiment well I am ready to try my hands on fermented carrots. 

I peeled 4 medium sized carrots. Since i thought it will be easy to put carrot in the blender instead of grating, I did that. I don't have a food processor. The blender method was a disaster. 
So, the carrots got grated using a box grater. Then I added about a teaspoon of pickling salt, along with some grated ginger and garlic. 
That is my carrots mixed with ginger garlic and salt. After mixing it with hand, I transferred it to a glass bottle. The bottle is not full. I am searching for a small bottle. Meanwhile it is in this mason jar.
As you can see the juice is not covering it yet. Going to wait for a fe hours. Then if it is not getting more liquid, I will add more brine solution. 
Will give an update in about a week. Right now, keeping my fingers crossed to see how it goes. 
Have you ever tried fermenting veggies?  Any interesting tips or incidents to share with me?

Till next post,
With love

2 comments:

  1. After seeing on a TV health show that fermented food is good for promoting a healthy digestive system,I bought a white cabbage last week with the intention of making sauerkraut. Then discovered that to prevent it from turning moldy I needed to buy special fermenting equipment. So I abandoned the plan and cooked the cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be you can try a quarter of the cabbage to see how it goes. Just chop the cabbage and add pickling salt. There are so many websites to help you with fermenting veggies at home.

      Delete

Love to know what you think of my post.I will do every effort to reply to your comment and to visit your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing