Thursday, 6 April 2017

Minimalism for Financial Independence

Dear Visitor,
Thanks for dropping by.
I mentioned that I like the idea of minimalism.
Some people can stick to the minimalistic way of life. Minimalism is living with what you really need and not having more stuff. In that way I like it.

But, think of the stuff we accumulate: like yoghurt containers, empty jam and mayonnaise bottles... sure, they make clutter. But, I have to have a few. Collected so many similar bottles over the years to arrange my pantry. I have 2-3 empty yoghurt containers to keep food in the freezer or fridge. I don't accumulate more than that now a days. Same goes with the empty bottles. There will be few of them, as they are useful to keep bulk non perishable food items such as rice, lentils and flours.

How you reach financial independence with minimalism is your question, right?

I don't buy stuff when I see them in the store now. For example, a nice handbag on sale was big temptation before. Now, I think, do I really need it? What am I going to do with the bags I love and already at home after buying a new one? Now, see, the impulse starting to fade. Money stays in my purse.

I used to accumulate magazines. I put the old magazines in the recycle bin and don't buy new ones. Library has a lot of magazines, and they are available online too. No need to waste the valuable real estate at home to store them. I had many boxes to keep the old magazines. Now most of them are gone. The boxes are free to keep the winter gears. Some of the boxes are going to be donated too.

I still have to go through my processions. I am pretty sure, there are many items to be repurposed and donated. 

When you reduce buying more stuff, of course, you will be spending less money. That is the money you can save for  creating an emergency fund. 

When there is more free space, it is easy to clean. One may not need a bigger house if there is less stuff to keep. That means less use of electricity and less property tax. That is the money you  can save and invest. 

Do you think of filling up the space in your home or you want to have empty space? What you think of having less stuff at home?






10 comments:

  1. I use yogurt containers for so many things. For storing leftovers and in my workshop. Why buy special containers when I get a new yogurt container every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the things that you really need and discard whatever you don't need to keep. That is the point. thanks Jane for commenting on the blog. Really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. We are the same keeping yogart and take our containers (swish chalet). I find if I watch a episode of hoarders I throw alot of stuff out. It's pretty crazy how much we accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Recently I throw out a lot of old coupons. Cut up some old T-shirts I won't use anymore. There were these plastic cream cheese containers, which were waiting for so many years to find a use.

      Delete
  3. Reducing purchases is always good for the purse. Accumulate what we really use up. Great strategy. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Regine Karpel. Really appreciate you left a comment. Visited your blog today.

      Delete
  5. One of the best things I've found from becoming more minimalist is that it not only frees up physical space, but also emotional and spiritual space. I have more time and energy to pursue my goals because I' cleaning and shopping less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish our house was less cluttered, maybe if I had my own place. I do live a minimalism life, I have that mindset of whats the point of buying it. Saves a lot of money. I just have a hard time convincing my family to throw away or donate stuff lol. I stopped trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a minimalist. I try not to buy things I don't really need, but I tend to hold on to junk with the hopes of repurposing it some how. I recycle most containers, cardboard and plastic, but I usually save glass jars and bottles if I can use them again.

    ReplyDelete

Love to know what you think of my post.I will do every effort to reply to your comment and to visit your blog. Thanks for caring and sharing